Wednesday 22 February 2012

The strength of a woman


Looking into my friend’s bloodshot eyes I can see that she is tired. She wipes the sweat from her brow with a dirty rag, and smiles at me as she rolls the cloth and strategically places it on her head.  She calls three other women over to help her lift an enormous sack of onions. I watch her bend down as they lift the sack and I see that she has lost weight; her shoulders, back and arms are rock-hard. Once the sack is positioned comfortably on her head she turns and says she is “going to come;” I take a seat on a bench. Onlookers gawk at me, surprised to see a white lady amongst the grit and grind. It is an area of Kumasi called Racecourse; it looks very much like a shanty ghetto, the structures all made from rotting plywood and scrap metal; the environment is hot and crowded, dirt paths snake between shacks as though pedestrians have been cautious not to step in muddy patches and filth.  Litter covers every square foot of the ground… 

“I’m going to market in Wa” – that is what she told me before she left and never came back.
I started to ask around; it seemed as though people were hesitant to tell me any information about her. Finally her sister told me that they had talked on the phone – she had gone to Kumasi to work. If it was as simple as that, I thought, then she would have just told me. She was my friend. Why would she have lied?  I continued to press the issue and find out what exactly had caused her to just run away without telling me. As the story unraveled it became clear why she left. 
Her husband had impregnated a young girl – my friend was crushed. She had been married to this man for six years, they had two children together. When this girlfriend found out she was pregnant, and that the husband would also wed her, she started to tease and provoke my friend. She would publically embarrass her at the borehole:  claiming the husband loved her more, that she was new, that he would soon forget his old wife. This provided an open forum for the community to gossip about the problems my friend was facing. 
My friend has only completed P-6 and can barely speak English; reading or writing is out of the question. She is also strong – a hard worker who, throughout her childhood, had been encouraged to be on the farm as opposed to attending school. At this point, with a life full of farming ahead of her, no education to fall back on, and two children to raise, the challenge of handling a new wife was too much for her to bear.  Living in the village, heartbroken and repeatedly taunted, was an impossible prospect. She had to get away; she had to go to Kumasi where she could make her own money and feel some sort of independence; to feel control over her situation.  She wanted to show the women she could overcome what they were saying about her.  Six months passed until I heard her voice again.


Currently a third-year PCV in Cape Coast, I served my first two years in a small village in the Upper West Region. The three northern regions, in comparison with the rest Ghana, are predominantly underdeveloped and deeply influenced by Islam. Most of the population is illiterate and their main livelihood is sustenance farming. Through the circumstances of poverty, lack of education and various social obstacles the women of the north are at a great disadvantage. Many of the young girls are discouraged to attend school as it is seen to be a waste of family resources (females are considered more useful on the farm). And education isn’t seen as a way to feed hungry bellies – it is a long-term investment that many homes cannot afford.  It’s not uncommon for families to participate in the tradition of marrying off their young daughters to remove the stress of another mouth to feed in an already-impoverished household. 
When it comes to work, there is a noticeable difference in the amount women are expected to complete daily versus men.  Both attend farm and have various jobs to complete, but women are also given the tasks of firewood collection, caring for the children and bringing back the harvest.  It is a rare thing to see a man fetching water, but a woman can walk upwards of 10k each day with heavy loads on their heads.  All of this is done with grace – a look of ease, even as they carry a newborn baby on their back.
Without education or money to change their situations, the only escape for many is taking a chance on Kayayo (traveling for work as porters in Kumasi or Accra). Women who return to the village from working in the south walk taller; they come back in new clothes, lobes sparking with shiny earrings; they can afford the things they need to make life better; they don’t have to ask any man for coins – they have a better sense of independence and confidence.
But not all Kayayo stories are so successful. The mere facts of being a woman and a stranger to a large city can result in a completely different lifestyle than what they are used to in the village. Most of the girls head to Kumasi with the intention of making some quick cash and going home, but city life can catch them like a predator.  Vulnerable, they get trapped into prostitution, drugs, and theft; it isn’t until they arrive that they realize how difficult it is. Many girls sleep on the street and they are highly competitive – doing whatever it takes to make more money, more money! Young guys who stay in the area hustle and scam to make a buck, usually they take a liking to one of the girls. Offering security by providing a place to sleep (in his metal shanty hut) it isn’t hard sell to a girl who is used to the safety of her compound. He’ll begin to make more demands of her; using his shack as bait, the young girls fall into a trap they can’t get out of.
---
When my friend returned from off-loading the sack of onions she was able to sit with me. I was worried, I had so many questions – I’d heard so many different stories about Kayayo, but I wanted to hear her story. Tagging along, her older brother helped with the translation; her particular job site was the most competitive – they had regular pay and could go home with seven, sometimes eleven, cedis per day. It was an area of Racecourse filled with cattle trucks, brimming with yams and onions. She told me that many women coming to work for the day couldn’t finish the job; that it’s only for the very strong. Women on the street aren’t strong enough to carry from the big produce trucks, she said, sometimes they can’t carry  at all – they beg; only posing as Kayayo. For women begging to carry personal luggage or empty a cargo truck near a store, the competition is very serious. They’re not guaranteed a single Ghana cedi a day; worse, they sabotage each other – hiding one another’s silver basins, they make it virtually impossible to carry loads.  
My friend’s job was to off-load bulk produce and carry it to vehicles transporting it to buyers (restaurants, chop bars, and market sellers). She was saving her money in a communal Susu box – every day she would take what was needed for food and the rest would be put into savings. Though the work was hard, her situation sounded ideal and I wanted to see where she was lived; I hoped she wasn’t secretly living on the street.
We walked through the makeshift ghetto and reached a very old (probably condemned) structure. Outside of the abandoned warehouse naked kids were running around; some women came in and out of the bathing area, others perched over TZ coal pots. We entered a long room lined with suitcases – clothes dried on crisscrossed lines; prayer mats were propped or spread out; empty bowls lay everywhere. As I walked in women began to shout my local name – they were from my community – with true joy they rushed forward and hugged me, offering me a spot on their prayer mats and calling their new friends to meet me. I was bombarded by greetings. Many from my village asked to call their husbands or parents, some hadn’t been in contact for months; my phone was passed around and my credits finished in no time.
The warehouse was simply a transplant of village life; women had divided themselves by language and took turn babysitting and cooking – they created their own community. As a custom of greeting, my friend came to bring me water; I sat with women hovering over me until the excitement died down. Soon my friend was able to get back to her story; she’d seen girls leave the warehouse to move in with boyfriends, thinking they had made it big. Those who didn’t make enough during the day would try to make money at night; this I took to mean prostitution. She promised me she didn’t plan to do that; her goal was to save enough money to sustain her once she returned to the village. She considered herself a divorced woman, only thinking for herself and her children; she missed them terribly.
---
This took place about a year ago and my friend has since returned to Wa; she is no longer with her husband and is living a life independent of him.  She took the money she earned and is now an apprentice at her aunt’s seamstress shop. Though her experience turned out well, not everyone is so lucky. 
Education in HIV prevention is important, but efforts also need to be put into helping safeguard these women in large and dangerous cities; resources need to be invested in accommodating their transient status, instead of allowing them to be subjected to street life. Something as simple as open communication has the potential to go a long way in improving their lives; it’s only when they become isolated from their family and homes that they are truly in danger.
The issue with Kayayo is not that women run off to Kumasi and ending up in prostitution; it’s about women seeking independence through financial security.  In a society that makes them feel inferior, incapable of bettering themselves, this is often their only choice. These women are courageous, driven, strong, and intelligent – they know they’re going into a hard life, but they weigh the risks versus the opportunies if they stay. The work these women do is vital – a good portion of the economy is carried on their heads – and unless the financial and cultural situation in the northern regions changes drastically, Kayayo is inevitable. What needs to happen now is the investment in keeping them safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment