Wednesday 24 October 2012

The Sneaky Teacher

Submitted by Betsy Conway, Brong-Ahafo Region


As senior school science and chemistry teacher, I am in the prime position for educating the young people of Ghana about HIV/AIDS.  They are just at the right age and education level to really understand some of the more complex particulars of the disease.  Futhermore, I can give an HIV/AIDS lesson without them even knowing...

What do I mean?  I mean I am the Sneaky HIV Teacher!  I mean I can sneak in heavy duty information about HIV/ AIDS, while the students think the topic of the day is the digestive system.  I mean I routinely educate people about HIV/AIDS without them becoming ever uncomfortable or burnt out.  I mean I encourage healthy sexually practices wihout ever waving a condom around,  I mean I am the Sneaky HIV Teacher!

Here are some of my recent Sneaks in my Integrated Science class....

Section
Topic
The Sneak
Classification in Biology
The Five Kingdoms (Prokaryotae, Protoctista, Animalia, Plantae, and Fungi)
"There are five kingdoms into which all living organisms can be classified... [blah blah blah] ...But you know something interesting?  Viruses don't fit into any of these categories because they aren't technically "living."  And one particularly interesting virus is human immunodeficiency virus..."
Introduction to Chemistry
Mixtures
"There are two types of mixtures: homogeneous and heterogenous.  A homogeneous mixture is a mixture which appears uniform in consistency.  For example, blood is a homogeneous mixture, which in addition to blood cells can contain all sorts of stuff!  Like bacteria, or the malaria parasite, or HIV..."
The Immune System
Leukocytes (White Blood Cells)
"There is a special type of white blood cells (leukocytes) in your body called lymphocytes, which play very important roles in the function of the immune system. And one very important lymphocyte, the CD4+   T cell is this type of cell that gets attacked by HIV..."
The Circulatory System
Blood
"The blood consists of red blood cells (erythrocytes), plasma, and white blood cells (leukocytes and plasma)... [blah blah blah] ...And leukocytes - do you remember our class about the  immune system?  About the Lymphocytes and the CD4+ T cell...."
Diseases and Infections
Infectious Diseases
"Infectious pathogens can include bacteria, fungi, viruses, and parasites.  Malaria is common infectious disease caused by the plasmodium parasite, which enters your blood when a mosquito bites you.  HIV is a common infectious disease caused by the human immunodeficiency virus..."

I could go on and on... But you see the point, right?  Just sneak it in there when they least expect it, and they will never feel weird or uncomfortable about discussing HIV/AIDS!

Sincerely,

Ama "The Sneaky HIV Teacher" Fati

1 comment:

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete